Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
Alok S. Dhar is my current helper in the kitchen and a fantastic chef I am so blessed to have at home to feed my family. He can cook like a MAGICIAN and his food is so delectable. Its aroma tickles the nostrils each time he stirs the pot containing some spices he's using to cook our lunches/dinners. Here's one such recipe he shared with me and taught me to make a few moons ago. I hope you enjoy it along with the rest of your family just as my family and I did and will continue to do in the future.
- 7 onions, sliced
- 4 tomatoes, sliced
- 5 tablespoons watermelon, seeds of
- 5 tablespoons white sesame seeds
- 5 tablespoons cashews
- 2 red chilies
- 1 green bell pepper
- 5 garlic cloves, pounded
- 2 inches piece ginger, pounded
- 4 -5 black peppercorns
- 5 cloves
- 4 bay leaves
- 3 big black cardamom pods
- 2 inches cinnamon sticks
- 1 tablespoon coriander powder (heaped)
- 1⁄2 tablespoon red chili powder
- 1⁄2 tablespoon turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon garam masala powder (heaped)
- 1 tablespoon cumin powder (heaped)
- 4 tablespoons yoghurt, beaten (heaped)
- 1 pinch red food coloring
- 1 kg cottage cheese, cubed (paneer)
- 2 tbsps.gemini sunflower oil
- 5 tablespoons fresh coriander leaves, to garnish
- In a pot, fry the onions, sesame seeds, tomatoes and cashewnuts in 2 tbsps. of oil.
- Remove from pot and prepare a paste of the same. You may add halfa glass to a whole glass of water.
- Heat 1 tablespoons of oil in a pot.
- Toss the chopped ginger and garlic into a mixer to prepare a paste.
- Add ginger-garlic paste and stir fry till the raw smell of both has gone and the mixture turns slightly brownish in appearance.
- Fold in cloves, cinnamon, bay leaves, black peppercorns and green cardamoms.
- Once the black peppercorns start spluttering, add onions, red chillies, cashewnuts and tomatoes.
- Boil for 5 minutes.
- Fold in the masala powders.
- Do not add water at this stage.
- Mix thoroughly and after mixing check to see if water is required to make the gravy less thick if it is already too thick.
- If desired, add a little water.
- Now, add a pinch of red food colour, if desired.
- When oil separates from the masala, add the cottage cheese cubes.
- Garnish with corriander leaves and serve hot with rotis and/or white Basmati rice.