Prep 2 hrs 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
This is based on a sugar cookie recipe that I found through Pinterest (http://sweetopia.net/2009/12/sugar-cookie-recipe/). I really like the flavor, and for all that does spread a little bit (note: the more you work the dough, the more it spreads), it is my new favorite sugar cookie recipe. I especially like making half batches--just enough for two cookie sheets worth! I made a few modifications and made a few changes to the directions. Prep time includes chill time and cook time is for 4 cookie sheets. (As a side note, I really like the three stages of the recipe--10 minutes to mix, then chill, --10 minutes to cut out, then chill, then bake. With the breaks, I find it easier to fit this recipe into an afternoon playing with my children) Added here are the measurements for a 3/4 size batch, as I have found it helpful: 3/4 cup butter 3/4 cup shortening 3/8 cup granulated sugar 1 1/8 cup brown sugar 1 1/2 egg 1 1/2 Tbs vanilla 3/16 tsp almond 4.5 cups flour
- By hand, cream the butter and sugars in a large bowl.
- Add the first egg and mix well.
- Add the second egg with the vanilla and almond extracts and mix.
- Sift the flour into the bowl and mix until smooth--do not overmix.
- Split the dough into four pieces (two if making a half batch) and pat each section into a disk about 1 1/2 cm thick.
- Wrap in plastic and refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
- Between the plastic wrap and some parchment paper, roll out the dough to 1 cm and cut out cookie shapes. Then mush together and re-roll scraps.
- Place cutouts on parchment paper and refrigerate for at least 1 hour to chill again. (They will then hold their shape better when baked after chilling. I sometimes chill overnight and bake the next day.).
- Preheat your oven to 350°F or 176°C.
- Bake cookies for 8-15 minutes or until the edges are golden. (The baking time will depend on the size of your cookie. In my oven, 4 inch cookies take 15 minutes).
- Let cookies cool to room temperature and decorate!