Prep 15 mins
Cook 0 mins
This was given to me by a Magic Pan employee.
- 1⁄4 cup slivered almonds
- 2 green onions, chopped
- 1 head romaine lettuce
- 1 cup mandarin orange, drained
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon tarragon, dried
- 1⁄3 cup vegetable oil
- 1⁄8 teaspoon Tabasco sauce
- 1⁄4 cup white vinegar
- 1 egg yolk
- Shaking constantly, toast almonds in skillet over low heat until golden brown (about 5 minutes).
- Wash and dry lettuce.
- Tear into bite size pieces.
- Place with green onions and mandarin oranges in large salad bowl.
- Dressing: Combine all ingredients but egg and vinegar.
- Add in thin stream and process till well blended.
- Serves 6.
- MAKES: 1 cup dressing.
- Just before serving, toss well.
- Leftover dressing keeps up to 1 week in fridge.
The flavor of the dressing is just divine and perfectly goes with the flavor of the salad. And it tastes just like I remember it from the Magic Pan! Thanks for sharing.
This recipe is fantastic! I have been craving this salad for years! I have such fond memories of The Magic Pan at Lenox Square in Atlanta with my family. I miss ALL of their recipes so much! I also did not add the egg yolk and used the tarragon vinegar. I used "butter lettuce" instead of romaine and my husband could not stop raving about it! Thank You so much!
Just as I remember it! Made this for Christmas Day Dinner. The only exceptions were in the dressing, no egg yolk and instead of the white vinegar, I used Tarragon Wine Vinegar. Which is the recipe I got from the Magic Pan, long, long ago.