Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
These bar cookies taste almost like Heath candy bars.
Make and share this Almost Heath Bars recipe from Food.com.
- Sift flour into a bowl.
- Cream egg yolk, vanilla, brown sugar and butter.
- Add creamed mixture to flour and mix well.
- Spread mixture onto a greased cookie sheet.
- Bake at 250 degrees for 15 minutes.
- While it's still hot, sprinkle chocolate chips on top.
- Return to the oven for 2 minutes or until chocolate is melted.
- Remove from oven and spread chocolate over toffee.
- Sprinkle pecans over top.
I didn't really expect these to taste like Heath Bars but they kinda do! The toffee layer is a very firm buttery toffee tasting shortbread. I did step 2 first and then beat the flour into it. I pressed it very firmly into a 15x10 cookie sheet with 1/2" sides. I thought the 250 temperature might be too low but tried it anyways...at 15 minutes it looked barely baked and was still very soft...so I turned up the oven to 350 and baked it another 10 minutes but that was a bit too much. If baked correctly I'm sure these would be even better but they still were excellent. The chocolate layer is a bit thick and I think I'll use almonds instead of pecans next time. Thanks for this recipe! I love toffee anything.