Recipe by Kittencal@recipezazz
For pretty pastel coloured cupcakes, add in a few drop of desired food colouring my Kittencal's Bakery Buttercream Frosting/Icing goes wonderful with these cupcakes --- I use 2 cups icing sugar and 1/2 cup white granulated sugar instead of processing the sugar, it works out fine this way.
Top Review by PrincessPage
This is just a regular cake. Not moist. Not super flavorful. It was dry and a box mix would have tasted much better. I gave it two chances as cupcakes and neither worked for us.
- 3⁄4 cup butter, room temperature
- 1⁄4 cup Crisco shortening, room temperature
- 2 cups sugar, ground in the processor until fine (measure before processing)
- 4 large eggs
- 3 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1⁄8 teaspoon almond extract or 1⁄8 teaspoon lemon extract
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 3⁄4 cups cake flour (or combined together) or 2 3⁄4 cups all-purpose flour (or combined together)
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 cup warm half-and-half cream (this is important, warm the milk!) or 1 cup full-fat milk (this is important, warm the milk!)
Directions See How It's Made
- Set oven to 375 degrees (will reduce oven temperature just before baking cupcakes).
- Line 24 muffin pans with paper cupcake liners.
- In an electric mixer, cream butter and shortening until fluffy.
- Add in the eggs(one at a time) and the extracts and beat about 3-4 minutes on high speed (the mixture will seem to be a bit lumpy but will even out when you add in the sugar).
- Add in the sugar; beat well (another 3 minutes) until sugar is COMPLETELY combined.
- In a bowl, sift together flour, salt and baking powder.
- Blend into the creamed ingredients, along with the warm milk until smooth (about 3 minutes).
- Fill the prepared pans about two-thirds full.
- IMMEDIATELY, reduce oven temperature to 350 degrees.
- Place the cupcakes in oven, and bake for about 20-24 minutes, or until the cupcakes test done.