Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 20 mins
Cook 12 mins
Can't remember where this recipe came from, but it is a family favorite and always made for Christmas cookie platters. These aren't overly sweet and are great with a cup of coffee or tea.
- Stir together flour and baking powder.
- Uaing an electric mixer, beat butter or margarine until smooth.
- Add sugar and beat till fluffy.
- Add egg and the 1/2 teaspoon almond extract; beat well.
- Stir in flour mixture and beat until thoroughly mixed.
- Divide the dough in fourths; roll each portion into a twelve inch roll.
- Place 2 rolls four to five inches apart on an ungreased cookie sheet.
- (To facilitate cutting, use cookie sheets without sides-- or the back of cookie sheets with sides.) Flatten each roll till it is about 3 inches wide.
- Repeat with remaining rolls.
- Brush each flattened roll with a little milk and sprinkle with about 2 tablespoons of the the sliced almonds.
- Bake in a preheated 325 degree oven for 12 to 14 minutes or until edges are lightly browned.
- While still warm, cut crosswise at a diagonal into 1 inch strips.
- Cool completely.
- Stir together the powdered sugar, the 1/4 teaspoon almond extract and the milk to make a thin frosting.
- Drizzle frosting lightly back and forth over strips.