Recipe by Luschka
From Country Fair food and crafts and one of my Christmas Gift Basket recipes
Top Review by BarbryT
Very nice toffee and perfect for holiday gift trays. I made two batches (one I call my "adult" batch for those who like more of a burnt sugar taste--which I do. Much more complex in flavor...and, of course, an accident because I wasn't watching closely enough :-)) The second was just right. It sticks to your teeth firmly, so watch it if you have crowns.
- 220 g blanched almonds
- 125 g pecans
- 375 g sugar
- 125 g brown sugar
- 170 g golden syrup
- 125 ml water
- 60 g butter
- 1⁄4 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
Directions See How It's Made
- Place almonds and pecans on a baking tray and bake at 180 degrees C for 5 minutes or until golden. Set aside to cool.
- Place sugar, brown sugar, golden syrup and water in a heavy-based sauce pan and cook over medium heat, stirring until sugar dissolves.
- Add butter, bring to the boil and boil, without stirring, until mixture reaches hard crack stage (when the syrup is dropped into iced water it separates into threads which become hard and brittle) or 150 C on a sugar thermometer.
- Stir in bicarbonate of soda and toasted nuts.
- Pour into a lightly oiled 23 cm cake tin.
- When almost set, cut into squares.