Prep 10 mins
Cook 7 mins
When I became a vegan I had to give up all of my favourite pastas, so when I came upon this recipe I was pleasantly surprised. It tastes pretty good! I just want to say that all the amounts I give here are approximate, I never follow the recipe exactly. You might want to add less salt or lemon, and add more peas or olive oil. :) And don't be intimidated by all of the steps, it's actually fairly quick and easy to make!
- Boil a large pot of salted water, and cook pasta according to directions. When there are about 2 minutes left on pasta, add one of the packages of peas.
- Drain the pasta except for about 1 cup of water, and then return the pasta and water to the pot.
- In a food processor grind the almonds.
- Now add the lemon zest and juice to the to almonds, along with the remaining package of peas, and the salt. Process again. You might have to scrape it down the sides after a minute to make sure it mixes evenly. If the taste is too strong, add more peas.
- Add the olive oil and process again.
- Now add the the sauce to the pasta, tossing it well and adding water as needed. Season with salt and pepper.
Yummy. This was very creamy and delicious. I thought the almonds gave it a rich, slightly smoky flavor which was nicely balanced by the peas and lemon. I did not find it to be too lemony. I actually added extra lemon juice after tasting it! I do not own a food processor either so I used my blender. I added the reserved cooking liquid to the mixture in the blender to help it move (instead of leaving it in the pot with the pasta). It worked beautifully. I will definitely make this again.
My family really enjoyed this dish, but my lemon was a bit strong. Would have been great had I not blended the sauce (I don't own a food processor).