Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
This recipe was inspired by an Almond Joy candy bar. It requires an electric ice cream freezer. Prep time does not include time required for the mixture to chill.
- 1 cup half-and-half
- 4 inches cinnamon sticks, broken into small pieces
- 1 whole vanilla bean
- 2 whole cardamom pods
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 egg yolks, beaten
- 1 (15 ounce) can cream of coconut
- 1 (13 1/2 ounce) can unsweetened coconut milk
- 1⁄2 cup chopped toasted almond
- 1⁄2 cup mini chocolate chip
- 1⁄3 cup sweetened flaked coconut
- Mix half-and-half, cinnamon chunks, cardamom pods, and salt in a heavy-bottomed saucepan.
- Split the vanilla bean lengthwise and scrape out the seeds with the edge of a sharp knife. Add vanilla bean halves and seeds to the half-and-half.
- Heat to scalding, stirring occasionally and being careful not to boil. Reduce heat and let simmer about 15 minutes to allow the spice flavors to infuse the mixture.
- Strain hot mixture through a fine-mesh sieve; return half-and-half to pan and discard spices.
- Slowly whisk about a half cup of the hot half-and-half mixture into the egg yolks, then slowly whisk the egg mixture back into the saucepan.
- Cook over medium-low heat, stirring constantly, until the mixture thickens slightly.
- Add the cream of coconut and coconut milk and stir well. Cool in refrigerator for at least an hour.
- Process in ice cream freezer according to manufacturer's directions.
- When finished processing, remove the ice cream can from the freezer and remove the dasher from the ice cream can. Stir in almonds, chocolate chips, and coconut. Cover top of can with plastic wrap or foil and replace lid. Let sit in freezer for 1 to 2 hours until firm.