Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
A Moroccan recipe from The Multicultural Cookbook for Students. This is also called Sesame Cornes de Gazelles. "Moroccan pastries are works of art. They have incorporated the flair of the French with the use of Middle East ingredients, such as honey, almonds, sesame seeds, and dried fruit." Notice how the flour starts with ONE CUP and then you might add more depending upon how sticky it is. The oven time seems a bit long to me. I have not made this but think it sounds good.
- 1 cup almonds, blanched finely ground
- 1⁄2 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 -1 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour, start with 1 cup only
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 cup butter, at room temperature
- 1⁄2 cup sesame seeds
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Put ground nuts, sugar, 1 cup flour, almond extract, egg, cinnamon, and butter in mixing bowl and mix well.
- KNEAD mixture into a dough (it will be slightly sticky).
- Pour seeds into pie pan.
- Pinch off walnut size pieces of dough (IF dough is too sticky or difficult to handle add the remaining flour).
- Roll dough pieces in seeds to coat, and then, between the palms of your hands, roll pieces into about 2 inch long cylindrical shapes, thicker in the middle, tapering at the ends.
- Place side by side onto lightly greased cookie sheet, curving slightly into crescents.
- Bake in oven for about 30 minutes or until golden brown. I would start checking after 15 minutes as 30 seems too long but that is what it says.
These are a good biscuit with coffee, they are not too sweet and nice and crunchy. I had a small amount of dough let so I filled tiny pastry cases with the dough. They came out nice and crisp, will probably fill them with a chocolate cream for dinner party next week. Made for ZWT 6.
Delicious cookies! The sesame seeds are astonishingly strong at first bite, but after chewing twice the almond flavor starts to develop. Very fragrant! I used 1/3 millet and 2/3 sweet rice flour to be gluten free, and it worked just perfect with exactly one cup of flour. Thanks to you co-unrulie for posting this little jewel! Made for ZWT6 NA*ME for the Unrulies Under The Influence.