Prep 25 mins
Cook 25 mins
Presented in the Simple & Delicious Mag from Dec '06 and submitted by N. Gunn. I've not had to change one thing. This is a recipe that uses refrigerated crescent rolls. Passive time includes up to 15 minutes baking and 10 minutes cooling.
- Line a 15x10x1" baking pan with parchment paper.
- Unroll crescent dough into prepared pan; seal seams and perforations.
- Combine 2 tablespoons sugar and cinnamon and sprinkle over dough.
- Combine the almonds, butter, extract and remaining sugar; spread lengthwise down the center of the dough.
- On each long side, cut 1-inch wide strips about 2.5 inches into center.
- Starting at one end, fold alternating strips at an angle across filling and then pinch ends to seal.
- Bake at 375 for 10-15 minutes or until golden brown.
- Cool for 10 minutes and remove to a wire rack.
- For icing: in a bowl, combine confectioner's sugar, extract and enough milk to achieve a smooth consistency.
- Drizzle over braid and then sprinkle with cinnamon.
- Serve warm.
Hokies, you've done it again! This is really lovely, and my boys are so excited to have it for breakfast tomorrow! I took Krista Roes' advice and halved the sugar with no problem, and was inspired by Pixie's Kitchen to throw a thinly sliced apple into the filling. The result was a delicious almond/apple treat that we are sure to make again. Since we made it for a morning meal I skipped the glaze, but with it I think this would be an awesome dessert. Thanks for posting! Made for ZWT7, for the Vivacious Violets.
Hokies, this is such a wonderful dessert ~ so very easy to make and very flavorful. Love the rich almond flavor ~ I even used almond milk to make the icing. DELICIOUS ~ thanks for sharing. Made for SWEET TRADITIONS TAG, December 2009!
We LOVE this! I make this at least 2 times a month for breakfast, it is so simple yet comes out of the oven looking like you spent a lot of time in the kitchen, I still want to try serving this as a dessert with some fresh fruit. Thank you for posting such an amazingly simple tasty recipe.