Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
This is a great stir-fry recipe from Southern Living, January 1986. You need a wok for this recipe.
- 1 egg white
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon white pepper
- 1 1⁄2 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1⁄4 cup peanut oil or 1⁄4 cup vegetable oil, divided, plus
- 2 tablespoons peanut oil
- 1 (2 ounce) package slivered almonds
- 1 (8 ounce) cansliced bamboo shoots, drained
- 3 green onions with tops, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 medium green pepper, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 tablespoon peanut oil or 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- 2 -3 teaspoons grated fresh gingerroot
- 2 teaspoons white wine
- green onion top (to garnish) (optional)
- Combe first 6 ingredients, stirring well. Add chicken pieces; mix well and refrigerate for 15 minutes.
- Pour 1/4 cup oil around top of preheated wok; allow to heat at hight (350F) for 1 minute. Add chicken, and stir-fry for 5 minutes, or until lightly browned. Remove with a slotted spoon; drain on paper towels.
- Pour 2 TB oil around top of wok; heat at medium high (325F) for 30 seconds. Add almonds, and stir-fry 2 minutes or until golden brown. Remove and drain on paper towels. Add bambo shoots, green onions, and green pepper to wok. Stir-fry 1-2 minutes or until crisp-tender. (Add additional oil, if needed.).
- Combe 1 TB oil, 1 TB soy sauce, gingerroot, and wine, mixing well. Add this mixture to the wok. Bring to a boil. Add chicken and almonds; stir-fry 30 seconds or until thoroughly heated. Garnish with green onion tops, if desired. Serve immediately.
We really enjoyed this, a lovely combo of flavours. I garnished the top with extra sliced almonds - delish. I made a few minor mods to make it compatible with the South Beach diet. I also used a nonstick wok so I could get away with a bit less oil.