Prep 5 mins
Cook 20 mins
Easy and tasty.
- 1 cup unblanched almonds, coarsely chopped and toasted
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1⁄3 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1 cup butter or 1 cup margarine
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 cup semisweet chocolate piece (3 oz)
- Spread half of nuts on a jellyroll pan.
- In medium saucepan, combine sugars, butter and water. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until sugars dissolve. Raise heat and cook until mixture reaches 300F on candy thermometer (hard crack stage).
- With clean pastry brush dipped in cold water, or wet paper towel wrapped through tines of fork, frequently wash down sugar cystals from side of pan. Swirl pan frequently so mixture does not burn. Stir in baking soda.
- Remove from heat; quickly and carefully pour into jellyroll pan. Sprinkle with chocolate; as chocolate melts, spread with knife. Top with remaining almonds, pressing lightly. Let cool, then break into pieces. Store in airtight container.