Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
I make these every Christmas for the cookie tray that I always have well stocked for our family's annual Christmas party. This is such a simple recipe with a few common ingredients that most people always have on hand in their kitchen pantry. And it produces such a wonderful bar cookie with a delectible almond taste. It's the perfect treat for any cookie exchange or potluck gathering.
- 4 eggs
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 cup butter, melted (no substitutes)
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons almond extract
- 1 cup cups sliced almonds (increase or decrease as desired)
- 1⁄2 cup confectioners' sugar (optional)
- Beat together the eggs and sugar until lemon-colored. Add the butter, flour, and almond extract; mix well.
- Spread the batter in an even layer on a buttered 13x9-inch baking pan. Sprinkle the top of the batter with sliced amonds if you wish; otherwise leave the top as is.
- Bake at 325° for 30 to 35 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Remove pan from the oven and dust the top with a light sprinkling of confectioner's sugar, if you wish. Leave cookies in the pan to cool completely.
- When cooled, cut into bars. (I usually cut 9 vertical rows and 4 horizontal rows, to get 36 bar cookies.).
These bars were so good! I made as directed except I added a teaspoon of Vanilla Butter Flavoring also (I use it in all my sweet baked goods). But this would have been wonderful even with out it! Thanks for a great recipe that is going in my file to make again!
Yummy! I had about a cup of honey roasted almonds to use up and they were a lovely touch as was the drizzle of Kittencal's Easy Creamy White Glaze.
If you are a lover of almond extract you must make this recipe. It is perfect! But I warn you do not take a bite of the raw batter- you might not be able to stop your self and just might eat the whole bowl- raw. I managed to just lick the beater and scrape the bowl clean. This was so easy to make, little mess and cooks up very fast. The best part of all- they are delicious- almost like an almond flavored brownie. I can't wait to share this one with my grandmother- she will love me for it! Thank you Pac Baby- you are the best!