Recipe by budgiesntiels
I thought this recipe looked familiar when I first saw it and I was right. My Mom used to make this cake for every birthday celebrated in the house but she called it wacky cake. What makes it wacky? There are no eggs or dairy in it.
Top Review by GooseandDuck
This is great! I couldn't believe it tasted so good! I didn't have a 13 x 9 cake pan so I used a round cake pan and poured all the batter into it; I DID have to increase the cook time to 45 mins and I only had veg oil and that wasn't a problem. My kids LOVED it. They couldn't believe I made it from scratch. Thanks for the great recipe!
- 1 1⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄3 cup unsweetened cocoa
- 1 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup water
- 1⁄3 cup canola oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon cider vinegar
Directions See How It's Made
- In an 8x8 inch square baking pan combine the flour, cocoa, sugar, salt and baking soda. Mix until it is completely light brown.
- When it is mixed, make 4 dents in the mixture with a spoon, 2 large dents and 2 small dents.
- Pour the water into one of the large dents.
- Pour the oil into the other large dent.
- Pour vanilla into one of the small dents.
- Pour vinegar into the other small dent.
- Stir until well moistened.
- When batter is well mixed, smooth it out and spread into place with a spatula.
- Bake at 325 degrees for 30 minutes.
- Cool the cake in the pan for 30 minutes before cutting it into squares.