Prep 20 mins
Cook 45 mins
The best Apple pie ever. Nothing more needs to be said.
- 3 3⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄4 cups cold unsalted butter, cut into small pieces (2 1/2 sticks)
- 6 tablespoons cold vegetable shortening
- 3 cups golden delicious apples, cored, peeled, sliced
- 3 cups granny smith apples, cored, peeled, sliced
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1⁄4 cup light brown sugar
- 1⁄4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- Make the dough:
- Place the flour and 3/4 teaspoon salt in the bowl of a food processor fitted with a metal blade.
- Use the “Pulse button” on your food processor to mix.
- Add 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons of the butter pieces and the vegetable shortening and hit the “pulse button” 6 to 8 times, until the mixture resembles coarse meal.
- Sprinkle 4 tablespoons of cold water over the dough and pulse 3 to 4 more times until the dough begins to hold together.
- Add more water, 1 tablespoon at a time, until the dough holds together.
- Form the dough into 2 disks, wrap each in plastic wrap, and refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
- Make the filling:
- Combine the apples, lemon juice, sugars, cinnamon, nutmeg, and remaining salt in a large bowl and toss.
- Let sit for at least 30 minutes or up to 3 hours.
- Drain apples, reserving liquid.
- Toss apples with cornstarch and set aside.
- Place 1/2 cup of the reserved liquid in a small saucepan over medium-high heat, add the remaining butter.
- Bring to a boil, and let cook until the mixture becomes thick and syrupy.
- Do not stir.
- Add the syrup to the apples and gently toss to combine.
- Bake the pie:
- Heat oven to 425°F
- Roll out one disk of dough into a 12-inch round about 1/8-inch thick, on a lightly floured surface.
- Fit the dough into a 10-inch pie plate.
- Trim dough, crimp edge, and fill with the apple filling.
- Roll out the second disk of dough for the top crust.
- Cut out large leaf shapes and place over the apples, each slightly overlapping the other, to form a top crust.
- Cut out one large apple shape, center on the top, and cut several slits to vent the pie.
- Bake until the juices bubble through the slits — 45 to 55 minutes.
- Let cool for at least 4 hours before serving.