All-American Apple Pie
photo by Artandkitchen
- Ready In:
- 4hrs 20mins
For the Crust
- 2 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 10 tablespoons chilled unsalted butter, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1⁄3 cup chilled vegetable shortening, diced
- 6 tablespoons ice water
For the Filling
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 cup golden brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon peel
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 3 1⁄2 lbs granny smith apples, peeled, cored, sliced into 1/4-inch thick slices
- 1 tablespoon milk
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- For the Crust: Blend flour, sugar and salt in a food processor.
- Add butter and shortening and cut in, until mixture resembles coarse meal.
- Add 6 tablespoons ice water and process until clumps form, adding more water by teaspoonfuls if dough is dry (I never need more than 6 tablespoons).
- Gather into ball; divide into 2 pieces.
- Flatten each into a disk. Wrap each in plastic; chill at least 2 hours. Can be made a day ahead.
- For the filling: Position oven rack in lowest rack of oven and preheat to 400°F
- Mix all of the filling ingredients except apples in large bowl. It should be very dry and clumpy -- not really a 'sauce' at all.
- Add apples and coat.
- To assemble: Flour a sheet of parchment paper; roll out 1 dough onto paper until it is a 12-inch round.
- Transfer to 9-inch-diameter glass pie dish by flipping the paper over, then gently pressing so that the dough is along the bottom of the pie dish. There should be an overhang all the way around.
- Add filling.
- Roll out second dough to 13-inch round. Cut into twelve 1-inch wide strips. Arrange 6 strips across pie, leaving gaps between the filling and the lattuce along the way (that will make weaving the others easier).
- Form lattice by arranging 6 strips across the first strips, taking care as you go. If one breaks, don't worry--just tuck the break underneath!
- Gently fold over the edges onto the lattice, pressing with a fork to seal.
- Brush lattice with milk, and sprinkle lightly with additional sugar.
- Cover edges with foil and bake pie 10 minutes.
- Without opening the oven (I know, its so hard to resist!), reduce oven temperature to 375°F
- Continue baking until juices are thickened and crust is golden, about 1 hour 10 minutes.
- Allow to cool for at least one hour before eating.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!