1/2 Photos of Alice Medrich's Real Chocolate Wafers
1 hr 20 mins
Chef Kate's Note:
These cookies are wonderful on their own; make great bases for mini-cheesecakes and are perfect crumbled for crumb crusts or for the cookie crumbs on the sides of a cheesecake.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 236.59 ml all-purpose flour
- 118.29 ml cocoa powder, plus
- 14.79 ml cocoa powder (natural or Dutch process)
- 1.23 ml baking soda
- 1.23 ml salt
- 88.74 ml unsalted butter, slightly softened
- 118.29 ml dark brown sugar, packed
- 118.29 ml sugar, plus
- 29.58 ml sugar
- 4.92 ml vanilla
- 44.37 ml low-fat milk (or water)
- 1In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, cocoa, baking soda and salt; set aside.
- 2In a medium bowl, beat the butter with an electric mixer until creamy; add the sugars and vanilla and beat on high speed for about one minute.
- 3Beat in the milk.
- 4On low speed, beat in the flour mixture, just until incorporated.
- 5Gather the dough together with your hands and form it into a neat 9 to 10 inch log.
- 6Wrap it in wax paper, folding or twisting the ends of the paper without pinching or flattening the roll (you may find it easier to improve the shape of your roll after it has chilled a bit).
- 7Chill for at least 45 minutes or until needed (The dough can be refrigerated for up to three days and frozen for up to three months).
- 8Place your oven racks in the upper and lower thirds of the oven and pre-heat to 350 degrees F.
- 9Lightly grease two baking sheets or line them with parchment paper.
- 10Use a sharp knife to slice rounds of the chilled dough a scant 1/4 inch thick. Place them one inch apart on baking sheets.
- 11Bake ten to twelve minutes, rotating the pans halfway through.
- 12The cookies will puff and crackle on top, then settle down slightly when done.
- 13Use a spatula to transfer the cookies to wire racks to cool completely.
- 14Store in an air-tight container for up to two weeks, or freeze up to two months.
Browse Our Top Rolled Cookies Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Rolled Cookies Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Alice Medrich's Real Chocolate Wafers
Serving Size: 1 (546 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 52.6
- Calories from Fat 17
- Total Fat 1.9 g
- Saturated Fat 1.2 g
- Cholesterol 4.6 mg
- Sodium 24.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 8.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.4 g
- Sugars 5.8 g
- Protein 0.6 g