Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
I developed this recipe for my vegan son, Alex. Its tasty, and you can embellish it with toppings like browned hamburger and cheese to satisfy the carnivores in the house. This makes a lot, so make sure your pan can handle 6 quarts. We're not making mush, here. We don't want cook the life out of the veggies, so try to maintain an 'al dente' idea while cooking.
- 1 lb baby carrots
- 2 medium cooking onions, diced (3/4 inch)
- 2 cups sliced celery (about 5 ribs, sliced 3/4 inch)
- 8 ounces fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 1 green pepper, diced (3/4 inch)
- 1 red pepper, diced (3/4 inch)
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans diced tomatoes
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans
- 1 (48 ounce) jarrandall's mixed beans
- 3 ounces tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons chili base (Better Than Bouillon brand is my favorite) or 2 -4 teaspoons chili powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 -2 teaspoon course salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- In a large, heavy pot (at least 6 quart) over medium heat, add olive oil, carrots, onion, and celery. Add half of the salt and ground black pepper. Cover pot and cook veggies, stirring occasionally, until the carrots begin to soften, about 8 minutes. (Carrots are done for this step when you can just cut through one with the edge of a spoon.).
- Add the mushrooms, green pepper and red pepper. Cook until the green pepper begins to soften (they should give a bit when pinched with tongs).
- Add the tomatos, mixed beans, black beans, and tomato paste and heat to bubbling.
- Add the chili base or chili powder, and the cumin. Heat to bubbling again. Taste test for seasoning, and add more salt and pepper, etc, if necessary.
- Serve with your favorite chili add-ons.