I developed this recipe for my vegan son, Alex. Its tasty, and you can embellish it with toppings like browned hamburger and cheese to satisfy the carnivores in the house. This makes a lot, so make sure your pan can handle 6 quarts. We're not making mush, here. We don't want cook the life out of the veggies, so try to maintain an 'al dente' idea while cooking.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 lb baby carrots
- 2 medium cooking onions, diced (3/4 inch)
- 2 cups sliced celery (about 5 ribs, sliced 3/4 inch)
- 8 ounces fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 1 green pepper, diced (3/4 inch)
- 1 red pepper, diced (3/4 inch)
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans diced tomatoes
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans
- 1 (48 ounce) jar randall's mixed beans
- 3 ounces tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons chili base (Better Than Bouillon brand is my favorite) or 2 -4 teaspoons chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 -2 teaspoon course salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1In a large, heavy pot (at least 6 quart) over medium heat, add olive oil, carrots, onion, and celery. Add half of the salt and ground black pepper. Cover pot and cook veggies, stirring occasionally, until the carrots begin to soften, about 8 minutes. (Carrots are done for this step when you can just cut through one with the edge of a spoon.).
- 2Add the mushrooms, green pepper and red pepper. Cook until the green pepper begins to soften (they should give a bit when pinched with tongs).
- 3Add the tomatos, mixed beans, black beans, and tomato paste and heat to bubbling.
- 4Add the chili base or chili powder, and the cumin. Heat to bubbling again. Taste test for seasoning, and add more salt and pepper, etc, if necessary.
- 5Serve with your favorite chili add-ons.
Browse Our Top Vegan Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Alex's Vegan Chili
Serving Size: 1 (129 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 20
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 60.0
- Calories from Fat 8
- Total Fat 0.9 g
- Saturated Fat 0.1 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 266.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 11.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.1 g
- Sugars 4.3 g
- Protein 2.6 g
The following items or measurements are not included: