Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 1 hr
Cook 20 mins
Simply the best! Crisp beef, ginger sweet sauce, very hard to find outside Alberta, Canada. I almost cried when I found this recipe. The original Chef's name is lost to history, thankfully his recipe remains. Twice fry the beef if you like it extra crispy, which is the technique most often used in Alberta Restaurants. I have to give credit to Rhonda Parkinson for finding this recipe-bless her!
- 1 lb center cut beef top round steak
- 1 stalk celery
- 1 medium carrot
- 2 hot chili peppers
- 2 tablespoons fresh ginger, minced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 2 tablespoons dark soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon cooking wine
- 1 teaspoon white sugar
- 2 tablespoons ginger juice
- 1 egg white, beaten lightly
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 1⁄4 cup cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon white wine
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- 4 tablespoons white sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sesame oil
- 2 tablespoons water
- hot chili oil
- 4 -5 cups canola oil (for frying)
- Cut beef into matchstick strips, cutting along the grain.
- In a medium bowl mix together:.
- 2 tablespoons dark soy sauce.
- 1 tablespoon cooking wine.
- 1 teaspoon white sugar.
- 2 tablespoons ginger juice.
- add beef and marinate for 30 minutes.
- Cut celery, carrot and hot peppers into thin strips, mince garlic and ginger. Place in a medium bowl, add sesame oil and mix well.
- Set aside.
- In another medium bowl beat the egg white and add water.
- Add the flour and cornstarch, mixing the batter well.
- Add Batter to the meat bowl, mixing well.
- To make the sauce mix together the 1 tablespoon white wine, 2 tablespoons soy sauce, 1 tablespoon white vinegar, 4 tablespoons white sugar, 1/2 teaspoon sesame oil, 2 tablespoons water and hot chili oil. Whisk until sugar is disolved. Set aside.
- In a deep wok over medium high heat add the oil.
- When hot add 1/4 the meat/batter mixture, separating the beef strips.
- Deep fry until golden brown-3 to 4 minutes depending on how hot your oil is, remove with a slotted spoon and set aside.
- Repeat until all the beef is cooked.
- In another wok or large saucepan heat 1 tablespoon oil. When hot add the vegetables and begin stir-frying.
- Pour in the sauce and let come to a boil.
- Add the deep-fried beef, tossing well.
- Remove and serve hot over rice or just out of a bowl.