Prep 5 mins
Cook 72 hrs
This was posted on another site by "Vicki" .If you let it go it will be sour!
- 1 (1/4 ounce) package yeast
- 1 teaspoon vinegar
- 2 1⁄4 cups water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 2 cups bread flour
- Dissolve yeast in 1/4 cup warm water.
- Add sugar, vinegar, salt, flour.
- Add remaining water until a creamy batter is formed.
- Place in a glass bowl, cover and let sit until it starts to ferment.
- About 3 days.
- It will take on a powerful boozy smell.
- Stir again until creamy and measure out what is called for in the recipe.
- Replenish starter with equal amounts of flour and water.
- Store in the fridge and bring to room temp before using.
- It says to allow to ferment for one week between uses but I don't.
- I do let it sit out overnight after I feed it.
- This starter took about 1 1/2 months to become really sour.
This was my maiden voyage with sourdough bread and it came out even better than I hoped. I began the starter on Saturday morning, baked the bread Tuesday night. The flavor was great! I fed the starter again, and am looking forward to making it again soon!
After successfully using this for a couple of weeks, suddenly my last two doughs are not rising. Can anyone help?
My hubby is making this...it is a marvelous recipe! Thanks for posting it!