My most favorite chicken casserole. I got this recipe from a lady who retired from a job that I took over about 26 years ago. When we had office potlucks, I always requested her to make this. Even though we don't live in Alabama, no other name would seem right for this dish!
- 1⁄2 cup margarine or 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1 cup chopped green pepper
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 8 ounces Velveeta cheese
- 1 (6 ounce) jar green olives, sliced (or larger)
- 1 (8 ounce) can sliced mushrooms
- 1 (10 1/2 ounce) can cream of mushroom soup
- 1 deboned chicken
- 1 (4 1/2 ounce) package spinach noodles
- Cook chicken in water with bay leaf and debone.
- Cook spinach noodles in the chicken broth and drain, but reserving the broth.
- Saute' green pepper, celery, and onion in melted margarine/butter until tender.
- Add cubed Velvetta and stir until melted.
- Next add green olives, mushrooms, cream of mushroom soup, and chicken.
- Blend sauce in cooked spinach noodles and place in slightly greased casserole.
- You may add more broth if needed.
- Top with cracker crumbs and dot with butter and bake 350 for 45 min.