Prep 20 mins
Cook 0 mins
I don't remember which episode this came from.
- 1⁄2 garlic clove, peeled
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup pure olive oil
- lemon juice, to taste
- salt, to taste
- fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- Grind the garlic and salt in a mortar and pestle (or chop the garlic finely and rub the salt into it with the flat of your chef's knife, smearing it across your cutting board several times).
- Place egg yolk and mustard in a bowl and whisk. Whisking vigorously, add olive oil drop by drop. Once about 1/2 cup of oil has been added, you can start pouring faster, still whisking continuously.
- When all the oil is incorporated, add garlic, lemon juice, salt and pepper.
- You can also add additional accent flavors, such as basil, fennel fronds, dill, or chopped roasted nuts.
This is good, but the predominant flavor is the olive oil. I will definitely add more garlic next time; 1/2 clove is not nearly enough. Made for My-3-Chefs, November 2009.