Prep 2 mins
Cook 0 mins
This triple sec-free recipe was inspired by one from Tommy's Mexican Restaurant in San Francisco. Just remember, fresh is best - See variations at end of instructions! Try one or make them all! Taken from Bon Appetit May '12.
- kosher salt
- 2 lime slices
- 1⁄4 cup tequila, blanco (silver)
- 2 tablespoons agave syrup (nectar)
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- Pour some kosher salt into a small dish; rub 1 lime slice over half the rim of an Old Fashioned glass (if you prefer your Margarita on the rocks) or a coupe glass (if you prefer it up). Dip rim of glass into salt.
- Combine tequila, agave syrup, and juice in a cocktail shaker; fill with ice and shake well.
- Strain into prepared glass. Garnish with second lime slice.
- DIFFERENT VARIATIONS -.
- Fruity: Muddle 3 blackberries with agave syrup in a cocktail shaker until berries are lightly crushed and juices are released. Continue with above recipe.
- Spicy: Muddle 2 thin rounds of jalapeno with agave syrup in a cocktail shaker until peppers begin to fall apart. For a less-spicy version, remove the seeds first. Continue with above recipe.
- Bright: Steep 1 hibiscus teabag or 1 teaspoons dried hibiscus flowers with 4 oz. of hot water for 10 minutes. Discard tea bag/flowers and let tea cool. Gently spoon some tea OVER margarita, forming a red layer on top. (STUNNING!).
Nice and super easy recipe! Was a nice change up from the bottle mix. Too bad lime prices have sky rocketed from .25 to .70 for a small lime. Either way, fresh is best! I used Lunazul Blanco (Silver) tequila which is ~$20 and is pretty good and smooth for the money. Overall it's a great recipe and will be adding this to the bar rotation. I might try a float of Grand Marnier on the next batch I make. Thanks for sharing!
Alligirl this is a winner. Thank you so much for sharing my new favorite cocktail. I made the fruity version, can't wait to try all the rest. Love tequila all types but the silver is my favorite. The ratio of berries, agave syrup and lime juice is perfect. I used an organic raw blue agave syrup, it worked beautifully in this drink. Made for the Fearless Red Dragons - ZWT- 8 - Family Picks
This is awesome Very smooth Made for World tour 8