Prep 15 mins
Cook 0 mins
I found this on the web after searching for African recipes that included broccoli for the Zaar World Tour 2005. It was on the mom-mom website.
- 1064.65 ml broccoli florets, small
- 591.47 ml cauliflower florets, small
- 354.88 ml carrots, diagonally sliced 1/4 inch slices
- 14.79 ml canola oil
- 4.92 ml salt (to taste)
- 4.92 ml ground ginger
- 4.92 ml ground cumin
- 2.46 ml ground coriander
- 2.46 ml freshly ground nutmeg
- 2.46 ml crushed red pepper flakes (to taste)
- 236.59 ml sour cream (reduced fat ok)
- 29.58 ml cider vinegar
- 14.79 ml mild honey (to taste)
- 118.29 ml thinly sliced green onion
- 118.29 ml toasted pine nuts or 118.29 ml coarsely chopped toasted peanuts
- Steam first 3 ingredients, covered, 2 minutes. Rinse broccoli mixture under cold water;
- drain well.
- Combine oil, salt and next 5 ingredients (salt through crushed red pepper) in a small skillet; cook over medium heat 2 minutes or until lightly browned, stirring constantly.
- Combine spice mixture, sour cream, vinegar, and honey in a bowl; whisk well. Add to broccoli mixture; toss well to coat. Stir in green onions just before serving, and sprinkle with nuts.
This is the second time I've made this and I love it! The first time I used sour cream and pine nuts and the second time I use plain yogurt and crushed peanuts. The yogurt worked fine but I liked it better with pine nuts. Also, it's important to let the veggies cool a bit before adding the sour cream - I didn't do that and the heat made the sour cream too runny. Great recipe!
Sorry - We really didn't care for this.
This made a pretty tasty side dish. I used a bag of frozen veggies (cauliflower, broccoli, and carrots) and Greek yogurt instead of sour cream, and it turned out great. I left out the pine nuts though, but wish I had included them now. Thanks for sharing.