Recipe by Ross T.
Official Contest Entry: Simply Potatoes 5Fix. Contemporary take on gnocchi by taking two classic cultures and fusing them together. Interesting fact: The only other cuisine in Ethiopia is Italian cuisine because the Italians ruled Ethiopia for so long.
For the actual Gnocchi
- 1 (16 ounce) bag Simply Potatoes Traditional Mashed Potatoes
- 1 tablespoon berbere, spice
- 8 roasted garlic cloves
- 1⁄4 cup whole wheat flour
For the entree
- 8 cherry tomatoes, sliced in half
- 4 scallions, sliced on the bias
- 4 okra, cut in half
- 1 sweet potato, cubed
For the sauce
- 1⁄2 cup sweet potato water
- 1 tablespoon natural-style peanut butter
- 1 teaspoon tomato paste
- 2 ounces fresh yellow onions
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 ounce fresh jalapeno
- 1 sprig fresh thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- 1⁄2 ounce ginger (Freshly ground)
- 1 tablespoon peanut oil
Directions See How It's Made
- For the gnocchi:.
- Mix all ingredients in a bowl until just barely stiff.
- Roll into log and cut inch pieces. Put a medium pot of water on to boil with a little salt. Once boiling, add gnocchi pieces and cook for 5 minutes. Take out and put on sheet tray and pop in the freezer.
- Prepping the entrée:.
- Dice the sweet potatoes into medium cubes. Put cubes in a small pot of cold water. Bring to a boil and cook until just cooked. Save water for sauce.
- Slice tomatoes, okra and scallions.
- For the sauce:.
- Put garlic, onion and ginger in a small blender. Add a little sweet potato water if not blending to a paste.
- Small dice the jalapeno. Sautee in a medium pan with peanut oil.
- Add garlic, onion & ginger paste. Sautee with jalapeno and add thyme and bay leaf. Once fragrant, add tomato paste, natural peanut butter, and sweet potato water. Whisk until thick.
- Assembling the meal:.
- Take gnocchi out of the freezer. They should be cooled completely. Heat sautee pan to medium heat and a little peanut oil. Throw in gnocchi & entrée veggies and sautee until gnocchi has a little color. Add sauce and serve.