Prep 0 mins
Cook 30 mins
From P. Caunce and Son Brow Farm in Lancashire UK. In a bind? Hazelnuts, walnuts or almonds sub beautifully for the pine nuts.
- 3 large leeks, white and light green parts only
- 4 roma tomatoes, chopped (or equivalent amount canned tomatoes, drained)
- 2 ounces pine nuts (aka pignoli)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- freshly cracked black pepper
- fresh marjoram (NOT dried) or fresh chervil (NOT dried)
- Prepare the leeks by slitting them lengthwise and washing carefully to remove any grit. Cut the leeks into 1/2 inch slices.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a deep frying pan or skillet on medium heat and add the pine nuts.
- Fry the nuts until the kernels are golden brown. Make sure they don't burn! Immediately remove the pine nuts from the oil with a slotted spoon and set aside on paper towel to drain.
- Reheat the remaining 1 tablespoon of olive oil to high heat, and add the leeks. Fry for a few minutes or until they start to brown in places. Then add the tomatoes. Bring back to the boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper. Garnish with minced fresh marjoram and the toasted pine nuts.
Of course it was delicious. And very easy. And very quick. I actually used oregano from the garden instead of marjoram or chervil. Very yummy indeed. Made for Veggie Swap 11/12. xoxo