Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr
A wonderful, healthy main dish with a great combination of flavors.
- 2 medium acorn squash, about 1 1/2 lb each
- 1 lb ground turkey
- 1 mcintosh apple, peeled and chopped
- 1⁄4 cup dried breadcrumbs
- 1 large egg
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 1⁄8 teaspoon mace
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Remove stalk stub if necessary, slice just enough off the bottom to make a level surface.
- Cut in half and remove seeds.
- Prick inside surface all over with a fork.
- Combine remaining ingredients and fill the squash halves, mounding if necessary.
- Place in a baking dish, add 1/2 inch of water and cover with foil.
- Bake 45 minutes, remove foil and bake 15 minutes.
This recipe was fairly easy with common ingredients. I was a little disappointed in the finished product, as it was not as flavorful as I was hoping. Still, a good way to get DH to eat his fruits and veggies!
Yum! Made this just as directed, except I forgot what size squash I was supposed to buy and got one that was twice the recommended size. So, naturally, it took twice as long to cook and by then the meat had dried out a bit. I also didn't poke enough holes in the squash flesh. Doing that allows the juices from the meatloaf to infuse the flesh and increase the flavor. The recipe is perfect. My ability to follow directions could use a little work. Even with my mistakes this was delicious. Great combination of flavors.