Prep 30 mins
Cook 2 hrs
Trying to find a replica of Uncle Julio's beans.
- 1 lb dried pinto bean
- 6 slices bacon, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 4 medium chopped fresh plum tomatoes
- 2 chopped medium onions
- 1 chopped medium green pepper
- 1 (12 ounce) can beer
- 1⁄2 bunch fresh cilantro, chopped
- 2 jalapeno peppers, seeded and chopped
- salt and pepper
- Rinse and pick over beans. Bring beans to a boil in a large pot of water and cook over medium heat for 90 to 120 minutes until they are tender but still firm.
- Before the beans are done, fry the bacon in a large skillet until crisp. Remove from skillet.
- Add garlic, tomatoes, onions and green pepper to same skillet and cook until tender.
- Return bacon to pan.
- Add a can of beer to the bacon vegetable mixture and simmer a few additional minutes.
- Add chopped cilantro and jalapenos. (Seeds make it hotter so be careful.).
- Combine everything in one large pot and add salt and pepper to taste.