Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
This is my husbands recipe for chicken and sausage gumbo, our 5 daughters will always come for a visit when he makes this, it comes out perfect every time. Secret is in the seasoning, he claims you have to "hammer" it with Tony's, I can't watch him add the seasoning because I thinks he's ruined it, but it comes out just right. Enjoy!
- Cut chicken into bite size pieces.
- slice sausage into thin rounds (we like to cut it thin, gives the illusion of more sausage).
- put sausage into large pot and begin to brown on med-high heat to render the juices from the sausage, cook about 10 minutes.
- add chicken and 2 diced onions and continue to brown for about 15 minutes. You really don't have to get it really brown, just get the pink out of the chicken.
- while its cooking, add quite a lot of Tony's, I'd have to say about 2-3 tablespoons.
- Add water and bring to boil over med-high heat (takes awhile) when it starts to boil, add the whole jar of roux and continue cooking on a slow boil for at least an hour.
- Season with more Tony's until you get the flavor you want.
- When serving, add chopped green onions and serve over hot fluffy rice.
- We add file to our individual servings. Enjoy!