Recipe by mustluvcookin
This batter gives fried fish a fantastic flavor and is SO easy. You will be glad you tried this.I received this recipe from an avid fisherman and is even better than he promised it to be. It quickly has become a family favorite. Look for Lemony Tartar Sauce recipe-goes perfectly with this fish.
Top Review by CJAY
I made this as written and we loved it. I used red snapper for the fish and it was golden brown and crispy just like we wanted. I served it with french fries and homemade tartar sauce (recipe#433471 #433471) Thanks for sharing a true keeper. Made for Spring PAC 2012.
- 1 large egg
- 1 (10 ounce) package batter frying mix (I use McCormick fish-n-chips)
- 3 dashes hot sauce
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne
- 1 tablespoon Old Bay Seasoning
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
- 6 ounces beer
- 2 lbs fish fillets
- vegetable oil (1 gallon, for frying)
Directions See How It's Made
- Pour oil into deep fryer and preheat to 350 degrees.
- Wash fillets and dry on paper towels.
- In a large bowl, combine batter mix, cayenne, Old Bay seasoning, and lemon zest.
- Add egg, hot sauce, and beer and stir until well combined and no lumps remain.
- Batter should resemble pancake batter.
- Dip fillets into batter and coat evenly.
- Carefully place into hot oil and cook 4 minutes or until golden.