Recipe by ratherbeswimmin'
My family's favorite. This is a very meaty lasagna. We prefer it with cottage cheese, but you can easily substitute ricotta.
Top Review by mom of 4
WOW!!! This was absolutely the BEST!!! I made this tonight for dinner and it was delicious. My DH had 2 BIG helpings and he LOVED it!! Definately something I will make again and again. I followed the recipie exactly and added just a bit of sugar to the sauce. I always do to tomato sauces. BRAVO.
- 1 1⁄4 lbs lean ground beef
- 1⁄2 lb Italian sausage
- 7⁄8 large onion, chopped
- 1 2⁄3-2 1⁄2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 1⁄4-1 2⁄3 teaspoons salt (or to taste)
- 7⁄8 teaspoon fresh coarse ground black pepper (or to taste)
- 7⁄8 tablespoon dried parsley flakes
- 7⁄8 tablespoon dried oregano
- 7⁄8 tablespoon dried basil
- 2 (12 1/8 ounce) cans whole tomatoes, undrained and chopped (or canned chopped tomatoes)
- 2 (5 ounce) cans tomato paste
- 20 ounces cottage cheese or 20 ounces ricotta cheese
- 1 2⁄3 eggs, beaten
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 2⁄3 tablespoons parsley
- 1⁄2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 7⁄8 lb mozzarella cheese, divided
- 10 -12 1⁄2 lasagna noodles
Directions See How It's Made
- Brown ground beef, Italian sausage, onion and garlic.
- Add salt, pepper, parsley, oregano, basil, chopped tomatoes with juice, and tomato paste; stirring until well mixed.
- Cover and simmer 1 hour (or longer,but watch for getting too dry).
- Cook lasagna noodles according to package directions; drain and set aside.
- Spray a 13 x 9" baking pan with cooking spray.
- Combine cottage cheese, eggs, pepper, 2 tablespoons parsley, Parmesan cheese and 1/2 1lb of mozzarella cheese; In a lasagna pan, layer noodles, meat sauce, and cheese mixture; repeat.
- Top off with layer of noodles; sprinkle evenly with remaining mozzarella cheese; make sure to cover noodles completely.
- Bake at 375F for 40-60 minutes, or until cheese mixture is thoroughly melted. (I cover w/ foil for about 40 minutes, then uncover for 15-20 minutes.
- Let sit for 15-20 minutes before cutting and serving.