Prep 30 mins
Cook 35 mins
A delicious old favorite from the Pittsburgh Tribune.
- 4 cups water
- 2 cups raisins
- 1 cup vegetable shortening
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- buttercream frosting (optional)
- Heat the oven to 350°F
- Grease and flour two 13- by 9-inch baking pans. Set aside.
- Combine the water and raisins in a saucepan, heat to boiling and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add the shortening, then allow the mixture to cool.
- Meanwhile, into a bowl, sift the sugar, soda, flour, cloves, cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice and salt.
- Add the cooled raisin mixture, then blend well.
- Add the eggs and stir well.
- Turn into the prepared pans and bake for 35 minutes.
- Let cool completely on wire racks.
- If desired, ice with Buttercream Frosting.
OMG! I'm so excited to find this recipe! When other children hoped their mum's would bring home chocolate cake, I hoped my mum would bring home one of these!!! Made it twice now and it's turned out perfect; feeds a big crowd too!