Recipe by Kittencal@recipezazz
For serious garlic pizza lovers only, this is one of the most amazing pizzas I have ver come across. A bottle of Chianto Ruffino wine is a must with this awesome pizza!
Top Review by Garlic Chick
Made this a while back and it is very good - I love the flavor. Next time I will replace the ricotta, egg, fontina, parmesan and basil pesto with some alfredo sauce for simplicity - maybe I will keep the basil pesto in. I used frozen cooked shrimp. I can see how the canned ones would be simpler, too. The only drawback to this pizza was that the final product tended to be a little watery. Maybe because I used reduced fat ricotta or more likely, the moisture in the tomatoes or the zucchini. Well, the flavor was excellent anyway, thanks for posting, Kittencalskitchen.
- 9 heads garlic, leave whole
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt, to taste
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 1 1⁄2 cups ricotta cheese
- 1 large egg
- 1⁄2 cup Fontina cheese, grated
- 3 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese (can use more or less)
- 3 ounces prepared basil pesto
- 2 large prepared Boboli pizza crusts, 12 or 14 inch (my Boboli pizza crust Boboli Pizza Crust works great)
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 cup sun-dried tomato, drained and diced
- 1 (28 ounce) can tomatoes, drained and diced
- 3⁄4 cup sliced zucchini
- 1 cup small shrimp, peeled (can use small canned shrimp, drained very well)
- 2 -3 cups grated mozzarella cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- Set oven to 375 degrees.
- Leaving the heads whole, peel off as much of the papery skin as possible.
- Place the whole garlic heads in an oven-proof dish, large enough to hold them in a single layer.
- Pour the 1/2 cup water in the dish, sprinkle with salt, and drizzle with olive oil.
- Cover tightly with foil; bake in in a preheated oven (375 degrees) for 45-60 minutes, or until the garlic is easily pierced with a knife tip.
- Remove from the oven; let sit until cool enough to handle.
- Squeeze out the garlic cloves from there skin into a small bowl; mash into a paste (you have just made roasted garlic!).
- Raise the oven temperature to 400 degrees.
- In a medium bowl, mix together the ricotta cheese, egg, fontina, Parmesan cheese and pesto until smooth.
- Place the boboli crusts on 2 large baking sheets.
- Spread a thin layer of the garlic paste (to taste), over the prepared crusts.
- Spread an even amount of the ricotta mixture over the garlic paste (to within 1-inch of edges).
- Sprinkle both pizzas evenly with the sun-dried tomatoes, canned diced tomatoes, zucchini, shrimp and mozza cheese.
- Bake for about 15 minutes, or until the cheese is melted.
- Cut into wedges, and serve-- DELICIOUS!
- ***NOTE***fresh plum tomatoes (sliced paper thin) may be used instead of canned, also of you are using canned tomatoes, make sure to drain very well.