Prep 45 mins
Cook 2 hrs
This is a hand me down recipe, from where I don't know, but it is among many in my family recipe box. I like this as do my sons, but DH is not used to casseroles so he won't try it. Oh well all the more for us.
- 10 medium sliced potatoes
- 4 carrots, sliced
- 4 stalks celery, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup sliced mushrooms
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) candiced stewed tomatoes
- 1⁄2 cup cracker crumbs or 1⁄2 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 8 ounces raw ground beef
- fresh ground pepper
- Preheat oven 350°F.
- Layer potatoes, carrots, onions, mushrooms, celery, tomatoes (drain and save juice) and ground beef in a baking dish.
- Pour juice and water over mixture.
- Salt & pepper to taste.
- Sprinkle crackers or Panko bread crumbs over top.
- Bake covered in preheated oven at 350 degrees for 2 hours.
- Uncover the last half hour to brown.
Easy to make old fashioned casserole. I have a recipe very similar to this one from 1957 using cracker crumb topping. The only change I made was to add about 1/2 cup frozen peas with the veggies, and I added one teaspoon of sugar with the tomatoes. A great dish to put in the oven and go outside to get some gardening done!