Recipe by San Marcos Sunshine
This is probably #2 of my Top Ten all time favorites. The recipe won Harold Freeman of Phoenix $150 in a newspaper contest probably 20 years ago. He should have easily won $500, as I've made many life long friends equally addicted to Harold's tipsy bread. I usually make it in mini foil pans for gifts. Don't skip the special cheese spread, as It really adds the lagniappe! Try it soon, and maybe we can each chip in another $5 to bring Harold his just reward for a great recipe!
Top Review by mianbao
The bread is flavorful, but quite dry. Probably because it only contains 2 tablespoons of shortening. It was better the second day after baking, but not something I would like to try again. With the cream cheese spread, I would say 4 stars, without, 3. Proof again that we're all different. Thank you for an interesting experience. I think I'll go with a plain date nut bread from now on.
- 1 cup pitted dates, chopped small dice
- 1⁄4 cup tequila
- 1⁄4 cup orange-flavored liqueur (such as)
- triple sec or Cointreau liqueur
- 1⁄2 cup warm water
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1 teaspoon lime zest (use a microplane grater if you have one)
- 2⁄3 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
- 2 tablespoons shortening
- 1 large egg
- 2 cups all-purpose flour, sifted
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2⁄3 cup pecans, chopped
CREAM CHEESE SPREAD
- 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
- 1⁄4 cup butter, softened
- 2 teaspoons powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoon orange-flavored liqueur
- 1 tablespoon lime zest
Directions See How It's Made
- In a small bowl, combine dates, tequila, orange liqueur, water, lemon and lime zest; set aside. In large mixer bowl, beat sugar, shortening and egg until fluffy. In another bowl, combine flour, soda and salt. Add to creamed mixture alternately with date mixture, using low to medium speed. Stir in pecans.
- Turn into greased 9" x 5" by 2-1/2" loaf pan. Bake at 350 degrees for 50-60 minutes, or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Or, bake 3 or 4 mini loaf pans 30-35 minutes. Turn out on wire rack to cool. Slice thin and serve with cream cheese spread.
- CREAM CHEESE SPREAD:.
- In small mixer bowl, beat cream cheese, butter and sugar until smooth. Stir in liqueur and lime zest. Makes 1-1/4 cups.
- Bread freezes well.