Recipe by T-Sawyer
Don't know where this recipe originated, just that it's been around my family for a long time. A very different method of making an icing, however, if you don't like the traditional powdered sugar ones, this is very light & doesn't taste as sweet. It is fantastic and a little thicker when cream cheese is substituted for butter.
Top Review by KareBear78
I have made a recipe just like this for years. The cream cheese route sounds excellent. This recipe is also very good on a chocolate cake. My mother makes it with a white milk cake that she has cut in half a spread with raspberry jam. She then uses this icing and sprinkles it with mini chocolate chips.
- 1 cup milk
- 5 tablespoons flour
- 1 cup butter or 1 cup margarine or 1 cup cream cheese
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
Directions See How It's Made
- This first part is best made ahead to allow for cooling. In a small sauce pan, mix flour into milk, then heat on low heat, stirring constantly until mixture resembles a thick pudding. Cover and let cool.
- In a separate bowl, cream butter with sugar.
- Add vanilla and blend until smooth.
- Add first mixture after fully cooled.
- Decorate as usual. Should be able to ice one 8x8 cake. Excellent for Carrot Cake when using Cream Cheese.
- Note - this is not a good recipe to sit out of refrigerator for too long, unlike the powdered sugar icings.