Prep 3 mins
Cook 2 hrs 20 mins
This is too simple, and no bread machine required. This makes a beautiful and really healthy bread. I was really skeptical when a friend gave me this recipe but the result was great. The 3 minutes is prep time it does take an hour to bake.
- 7 g dry yeast (packet)
- 2 cups milk (warm or you can also use warm water)
- 1 1⁄2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1⁄2 cup unbleached flour
- 3⁄4 cup flax seed (actually any whole grain what ever you like flax seed, sesame seed, sunflower seeds, or walnuts etc.)
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 tablespoons sugar or 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 tablespoons vinegar
- In a medium bowl dissolve the yeast in warm milk ( not hot).
- Add the rest of the ingredients (very important, do not forget the vinegar) and stir well.
- Pour dough into a 5 x 9 loaf pan.
- Place into a cold oven and turn the heat to 400°F.
- DO NOT LET THIS DOUGH RISE BEFORE PUTTING INTO OVEN AND OVEN IS COLD.
- Bake for 10 minutes then cut a slit in the top of the dough.
- After 40 minutes of baking you can brush the top of the loaf with butter or an egg wash.
- After 60 minutes reduce the heat to 350°F then bake another 50 minutes.
- Remove the bread from the pan and bake another 15-30 minutes.
- Bread is done when it sounds hollow.
This was def. easy to make, very good if you dont have much time on your hands. I made this while I was watching the kids I watch some weekdays, so it HAD to be easy if I could double task like that lol. The loaf I thought came out a little too dense for my liking. I used a mixture of sesame and flax seeds to make 3/4 cup. Over all a nice loaf if you are to busy to worry about fooling around with the "regular" bread recipes.