Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
The mixture of melted cottage cheese, cheddar cheese and parmesan cheese is irresistible paired in crisp toasted bread. Delicious. From Better Homes and Gardens New Dieter's cookbook
- 6 -8 slices whole wheat bread (depending on how big the slices are)
- 1 cup low fat cottage cheese, somewhat drained
- 1⁄2 cup low-fat cheddar cheese, shredded
- 2 tablespoons parmesan cheese, grated (canned also works well)
- 1⁄8 cup celery, finely chopped
- 1⁄8 cup green onion, finely sliced (or other type of mild onion)
- In a medium sized bowl mix all ingredients.
- Divide mixture among 3 or 4 slices of bread, top cheese mixture with remaining slices of bread.
- Spray with cooking spray or lightly grease skillet, preheat on medium heat.
- Cook sandwiches in the skillet (you may want to cover it with a lid or a pizza pan works well), flip when browned and cook the other side until golden brown.
- Remove from pan when browned and heated through.
- Enjoy immediately!
- Note: Unlike grilled cheese sandwiches, do not spread the bread with margarine or butter, the lightly greased pan will prevent it from sticking and toast the bread nicely.
- Makes 3 to 4 sandwiches.
I was glad to have this recipe as it didn't seem like I had anything on hand for a healthy lunch but I did have cottage cheese and celery. I made this mixture minus the green onions and baked it in my toaster oven in a low carb tortilla. Used Ortega taco sauce as a dip and it turned out as a satisfying lunch.
Yummy yummy! I used 15 grain bread, omitted the parmesan (I didn't have any), and added a little black pepper and hot sauce. My favorite part was the celery and green onion, though. Do NOT leave them out! I plan to make this over and over.