The mixture of melted cottage cheese, cheddar cheese and parmesan cheese is irresistible paired in crisp toasted bread. Delicious. From Better Homes and Gardens New Dieter's cookbook
- 6 -8 slices whole wheat bread (depending on how big the slices are)
- 1 cup low fat cottage cheese, somewhat drained
- 1⁄2 cup low-fat cheddar cheese, shredded
- 2 tablespoons parmesan cheese, grated (canned also works well)
- 1⁄8 cup celery, finely chopped
- 1⁄8 cup green onion, finely sliced (or other type of mild onion)
- In a medium sized bowl mix all ingredients.
- Divide mixture among 3 or 4 slices of bread, top cheese mixture with remaining slices of bread.
- Spray with cooking spray or lightly grease skillet, preheat on medium heat.
- Cook sandwiches in the skillet (you may want to cover it with a lid or a pizza pan works well), flip when browned and cook the other side until golden brown.
- Remove from pan when browned and heated through.
- Enjoy immediately!
- Note: Unlike grilled cheese sandwiches, do not spread the bread with margarine or butter, the lightly greased pan will prevent it from sticking and toast the bread nicely.
- Makes 3 to 4 sandwiches.
I was glad to have this recipe as it didn't seem like I had anything on hand for a healthy lunch but I did have cottage cheese and celery. I made this mixture minus the green onions and baked it in my toaster oven in a low carb tortilla. Used Ortega taco sauce as a dip and it turned out as a satisfying lunch.
Yummy yummy! I used 15 grain bread, omitted the parmesan (I didn't have any), and added a little black pepper and hot sauce. My favorite part was the celery and green onion, though. Do NOT leave them out! I plan to make this over and over.