Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This is my Mom's recipe. Its a cross between a cake and a fudgy brownie. Simular to Texas Sheet cake. I have fond memories of having this cake on Sundays.
- Do not use a mixer.
- Combine flour and sugar in a large bowl.
- In saucepan combine butter, water, shortening, cocoa and salt.
- Bring to a boil.
- Pour over flour mixture.
- Combine buttermilk, eggs, soda, vanilla and cinnamon.
- Add to the other mixture and mix all together (will be a little lumpy).
- Pour batter into a 9 x 12 greased pan.
- Bake 22 minutes at 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- When cake has baked 18 minutes, start combining in large bowl the 1/2 cup butter, 4 Tablespoons cocoa, and 1/3 cup milk.
- Bring to a boil and while boiling stir in 1 pound powdered sugar and 1 cup chopped nuts. Do not remove from heat while stirring in sugar.
- Pour over hot cake as soon as it is removed from oven.