Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This is my Mom's recipe. Its a cross between a cake and a fudgy brownie. Simular to Texas Sheet cake. I have fond memories of having this cake on Sundays.
- Do not use a mixer.
- Combine flour and sugar in a large bowl.
- In saucepan combine butter, water, shortening, cocoa and salt.
- Bring to a boil.
- Pour over flour mixture.
- Combine buttermilk, eggs, soda, vanilla and cinnamon.
- Add to the other mixture and mix all together (will be a little lumpy).
- Pour batter into a 9 x 12 greased pan.
- Bake 22 minutes at 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- When cake has baked 18 minutes, start combining in large bowl the 1/2 cup butter, 4 Tablespoons cocoa, and 1/3 cup milk.
- Bring to a boil and while boiling stir in 1 pound powdered sugar and 1 cup chopped nuts. Do not remove from heat while stirring in sugar.
- Pour over hot cake as soon as it is removed from oven.
This is really good and everyone enjoyed it. I think that next time though I will leave out some if not all the cinnamon. Had a pretty strong cinnamon flavor to me.
WOW! This is some kinda cake! I used an 11 x 15 inch jellyroll pan, and out came the best lookin' Texas Sheet cake you ever did see! Tis chocolate at its best, moist, and light to boot! Thanks, Melody, your Mom's cake is yummie good! I'll be making this easy recipe again! Laudee