From the Splendid Table, this serves four and doubles easily.
Make and share this 21st Century Macaroni and Cheese recipe from Food.com.
- 226.79 g raw penne pasta, cooked and drained
- 1 large egg
- 236.59 ml milk
- 1 small garlic clove
- 1 medium onion, coarsely chopped
- 354.88 ml shredded shredded good quality extra-sharp cheddar cheese
- 141.74 g cream cheese, crumbled
- 158.51 ml shredded gruyere cheese
- 0.59 ml hot red pepper flakes
- 0.59 ml salt
- 0.59 ml fresh ground black pepper
- 1.23 ml sweet Hungarian paprika
- 44.37 ml unsalted butter
- 12 saltines, coarsely crumbled
- Preheat oven to 350. Butter a shallow 1 1/2 quart baking dish, and add cooked pasta.
- In a blender or food processor combine egg, milk, and garlic, and process 3 seconds. Add onion, cheeses, peppers, salt, and paprika, and blend about 10 seconds. Turn into dish, folding into pasta. Casserole could be covered with plastic wrap and refrigerated up to 24 hours at this point.
- To bake, bring casserole close to room temperature. Melt butter in a small saucepan. Coat crackers with butter and spread over top of casserole. Bake about 20 to 25 minutes, or until thick yet creamy. If top is not golden, slip under broiler for a minute. Remove from oven, let stand about 5 minutes, and serve. Enjoy!