Recipe by Sharon123
From the Splendid Table, this serves four and doubles easily.
Top Review by *Parsley*
This combination of cheeses really works well. It's mild yet very flavorful..... easy to make, too. I made this with elbow macaroni instead of penne, but otherwise I followed the recipe exactly. Thanx for posting this awesome variation of mac & cheese. I'll make this one again.
- 1⁄2 lb raw penne pasta, cooked and drained
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup milk
- 1 small garlic clove
- 3⁄4 medium onion, coarsely chopped
- 1 1⁄2 cups shredded shredded good quality extra-sharp cheddar cheese
- 5 ounces cream cheese, crumbled
- 2⁄3 cup shredded gruyere cheese
- 1⁄8 teaspoon hot red pepper flakes
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon sweet Hungarian paprika
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 12 saltines, coarsely crumbled
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350. Butter a shallow 1 1/2 quart baking dish, and add cooked pasta.
- In a blender or food processor combine egg, milk, and garlic, and process 3 seconds. Add onion, cheeses, peppers, salt, and paprika, and blend about 10 seconds. Turn into dish, folding into pasta. Casserole could be covered with plastic wrap and refrigerated up to 24 hours at this point.
- To bake, bring casserole close to room temperature. Melt butter in a small saucepan. Coat crackers with butter and spread over top of casserole. Bake about 20 to 25 minutes, or until thick yet creamy. If top is not golden, slip under broiler for a minute. Remove from oven, let stand about 5 minutes, and serve. Enjoy!