Recipe by LUVmyBELLY
Want a tasty, warming and healthy meal? This soup was given to me by a Turkish friend. It's always very tasty and filling when she makes it, but I found that the soup leftovers can be used to make a delicious hearty oven bake. Find out and see.
- 1 onion
- 2 -3 garlic cloves
- 2 teaspoons chili flakes
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 small carrot
- 1 medium potato
- 1 cup red lentil
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 6 cups water
- 1 lemon (optional)
- parsley (optional)
- yoghurt (optional)
- parmesan cheese
- 50 g butter
Directions See How It's Made
- Finely dice the onion and crush the garlic.
- Add oil to pan and then onion, fry until soft.
- Add garlic and chili flakes and fry gently for a few minutes.
- Add lentils to pan and coat with onion mixture.
- Pour in the water and turn up heat.
- Grate the carrot and potato into the soup base which is now coming to boil.
- Add tomato paste.
- Leave to simmer until lentils are soft.
- Take the pan off the heat and sieve it, i just use a normal metal sieve and push the liquid through with a wooden spoon.
- Pour the liquid back into the pan, season according to taste. add the lemon, parsley and yoghurt off the heat.
- (Oven bake recipe).
- Use what remains from the sieved soup. Wqueeze as much of the liquid out as possible.
- Layer into a casserole dish.
- Slice the potato into thin slices and layer onto the lentil soup mixture.
- Grate the cheese on top of the potato.
- Dot the top with the butter.
- Place in a medium hot 180°C oven and bake until the potato is soft and the cheese is golden brown.