This recipe is from Cook 'Em Horns published by the University of Texas Ex-Students' Association. It is the only enchilada sauce recipe I use, period. Homemade is always best. I have used a blender, but I don't blend all the tomatoes. I have also used a potato masher for the tomatoes for a thicker sauce. Cooking and prep time to not include preparing the enchiladas. Serve on beef, chicken, vegetarian...just about any kind of enchilada.
- Saute onion and garlic in bacon grease.
- Add tomatoes and water.
- Drop in chile pod (do not remove skin).
- Bring to a boil, lower heat and simmer until tomatoes and chile pod cook to a mush, approx one hour.
- Sieve through a collander or puree in a blender (textures will differ accordingly).
- Return to sauce pan.
- Add chili powder, sugar, and more water to desired thickness.
- Bring slowly to a boil.