Recipe by AmyZoe
This is a great recipe to start in the morning and have ready when you come home. I love the packages with 16 kinds of beans...they make the best bean soup. They don't come with a prepackaged mix or anything like it sounds--the 16 bean soup mix is just a package of 16 kinds of beans. I didn't have turkey Italian sausage so I used regular spicy Italian sausage, and I added a couple potatoes just because I love them. Recipe is posted as written. Serving size is estimated. Recipe courtesy of www.lovetoknow.com
Top Review by Dizzyfreedom
Deeeeelicious!!! I don't have a crockpot so I chopped the carrots, celery, onions and garlic and saute'd in a tsp of Olive Oil. Then added the oregano, bay leaves, beans, a 14oz can of Italian style diced tomatoes,a smoked ham hock and 8-10 cups of water [enough to cover the ham hock]. Brought it all to a boil and let it simmer. Meanwhile, I peeled the skin off one Italian sausage link & browned it, put it in my bullet and shredded it. I added it to the soup after about an hour of it simmering. Total simmering time...2-2 1/2hrs. Everyone couldn't stop raving! Thank you for sharing!
- 16 ounces beans (16 bean soup mix)
- 3 bay leaves
- 1 tablespoon oregano, crushed
- 28 ounces chicken stock (non-fat)
- 3 stalks celery, chopped
- 3 carrots, diced
- 1 onion, chopped (large)
- 3 garlic cloves, sliced
- 1 lb Italian sausage, sliced (turkey)
- 29 ounces tomatoes (stewed or diced)
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine bean soup mix, bay leaves, oregano, chicken stock, and enough water to cover the beans by 1" to 2 " in crock pot.
- Cook on high for 2 hours.
- Add remaining ingredients and shift cooker to low. Cook for additional 3 hours.
- For more zing, add cayenne or crushed red pepper when adding second set of ingredients.
- Serve this as a complete meal or over rice if desired.
- Freezes well.