Prep 1 hr
Cook 15 mins
whole grain dough kept refrigerated (or frozen) for pizza, pretzels, or buns. The method is similar to Reinhart's "artisan breads every day". Preparation time does not include refrigeration overnight.
- Mix ingredients well (add salt and yeast at different times) and let rest 5 minutes.
- Knead by dough hook for 7 - 8 minutes.
- Stretch and fold and place in an oiled container to rest.
- After 10 minutes, stretch & fold again. Do the same two more times and place in fridge.
- After an overnight stay in the fridge (up to 3 days) divide the dough into 8 oz pieces (6) for pizza or 2.9 oz pieces (16) for buns or a combination of both.
- For pizza dough, place each ball into an oiled plastic sandwich bag and place into the fridge for use within 3 days or freeze for a month or so. Thaw in the fridge overnight.
- Roll each piece of dough for bun into balls and press or roll into round flats 3.5 " to 4" in diameter. Repress to maintain diameter and place on parchment covered to rise for 20 to 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 375 F.
- When risen to 1.5 the original volume, place into the oven. Bake 8 minutes and rotate.
- Bake 4 to 6 more minutes until the rolls are 200 F internally.
Nice dough. Made pizza first, the rest is in the fridge. I weighed my ingredients and found that the dough was way too wet. I had to add more flour twice. It is still a fairly wet dough. As I made the pizza I added a bit of 7 grain cereal to give it a little more texture.