Prep 6 mins
Cook 3 mins
Ramen has been a standby over years of back packing, motor camping and desert 'prospecting' where conserving water and cooking fuel were always at the front of our minds. A home made dehydrator added light weight, easy to use jerky and vegetables to the pot. Now any time I want a quick meal, as often as not it's Ramen. It's inexpensive, quick, and delicious. What more would you want?
- ramen noodles, as many packages as needed
- 1 1⁄2 cups water or 1 1⁄2 cups chicken stock, per package of noodles
- onion, chopped (green, red, yellow, white, pearl, sweet, leeks, chives or shallot)
- carrot (finely chopped, thinly sliced, or julienne, baby carrots work very well)
- celery (finely chopped or thinly sliced)
- mushroom (of whatever sort, thinly sliced, fresh, tinned, or dried)
- bell pepper, finely chopped (a mix of colors adds to the visual appeal)
- fresh yams or fresh sweet potato, julienne and cut to very thin bite size
- cherry tomatoes, quartered
- sausage (kielbasa, bratwurst, mettwurst, pepperoni, genoa, what have you, cut into thin bite-size bits)
- cold cuts beef (lamb, pork, ham, chicken or turkey, cut bite size)
- bacon, crumbled
- meatballs (crumbled or cut bite size) or meatloaf (crumbled or cut bite size)
- beef jerky, cut thinly across the grain
- cooked fish (fresh or tinned, anything but lobster, there are no recipes for leftover lobster, there's never any) or shell fish, clams, oysters, mussels, crawdads, s callops, etc (fresh or tinned, anything but lobster, there are no recipes for leftover lobster, there's never any)
- cheese (of every persuasion, grated, shredded, crumbled or cut into small cubes, Ramen with green onions and)
- soy sauce, Worcestershire, tamari, hot, barbecue (I prefer Cholulla hot sauce)
- mustard, horseradish, etc. (Anything I may have missed? Check your fridge and pantry, you'll find something)
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- Bring the water or stock to a boil in a sauce pan.
- Open the noodles.
- If you like playing with long noodles leave them as is, if not break them into more manageable lengths (throw away the little 'flavor packet' of unpronounceable chemicals).
- When pan boils, add the noodles and any options you desire and cook, covered for 3 minutes.
- ADD ANY COOKED FISH OR SHELLFISH AFTER THE NOODLES ARE DONE TO AVOID OVERCOOKING IT.
- Flavor with any sauce(s) you wish.
- That's it start to table in 10 minutes.