Prep 5 mins
Cook 25 mins
This is my favorite chocolate cake. No fuss, no mess and very moist. Back in the early days when it was paycheck to paycheck, this simple dessert made it into his lunchbox many a day because it was cheap and simple. No eggs, no milk.
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 1⁄2 cup cocoa
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 cups flour
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons vanilla
- 3⁄4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 1⁄2 cups water
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons vinegar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In an ungreased 9 x 13 pan- yes UNgreased, sift all dry ingredients.
- Add the liquids and stir just until blended.
- Bake for 25 minutes.
- Frost with your favorite frosting, cake is extremely moist so care must be taken that you don't tear up the top of the cake.
Wonderfully moist, rich cake. My only problem with it was my own fault. I decided to modify and use round cake pans to try and make a layer cake, and this cake is too moist to remove from a pan!
WOW! I just made this cake. i am 8 weeks PG and have a cake craving so I went for this. REALLY REALLY GOOD and SO MOIST!!! I didn't add frosting and its YUMMY. Definatly better then the boxed mixes, and NO eggs and milk is nice too!!! AWESOME!!!
An excellent snack cake! Deliciously moist and flavorful! So easy to prepare using only one pan, no mess to clean up! I think I will only use a powdered sugar to top. So flavorful, it needs no icing! Would be great served with a scoop of ice cream! Thanks for this one, Mysterygirl!