Zesty Zucchini Bread
- Ready In:
- 1hr 30mins
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 cup oil
- 4 eggs
- 2 teaspoons lemon zest
- 1 teaspoon orange zest
- 3 cups flour
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg (or more to taste)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ginger (or more to taste)
- 2 cups zucchini, grated and drained on paper towels (do not peel)
- 1 cup walnuts, chopped (delicious) (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350. Grease (I use butter) two 9 x 5 bread pans.
- Beat eggs well. Add sugar, oil, zests, and zucchini. Mix well.
- Combine all dry ingredients (except nuts) in a separate bowl and mix.
- Add to zucchini mixture and stir just until combined. It may still be a little lumpy.
- Fold in walnuts, if using, and pour into prepared pans.
- Bake for 65 minutes or until done, using a toothpick to test center. If the toothpick comes out clean, it is done.
- Cool for 10 to 15 minutes in pans on a rack. Then remove loaves from pans, and allow to cool completely on rack.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
My husband and I are retired and we live in Pine Mountain Club, CA. Our elevation here is 5,520 feet, so I have to make some adjustments to certain recipes. I enjoy cooking, especially in the winter. Maybe that is why "Cold Weather Cooking" by Sarah Leah Chase is my favorite cookbook. Her recipes are "real" and always turn out just right. I also like to quilt, and used to work part time in a quilt shop. I belong to a group of quilters that gets together once a month for a day of quilting and eating a potluck lunch, which is always delicious.