World's Best Mashed Potatoes
- Ready In:
- 2 1⁄2 lbs potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1 (16 ounce) carton sour cream (This can vary, please read below)
- 1⁄4 cup butter or 1/4 cup margarine
- 1 -2 cup shredded colby cheese or 1 -2 cup cheddar cheese (optional)
- cooking spray
- Place peeled and cubed potatoes into a medium size saucepan.
- Cover with water,place on stove and cook on medium heat until fork tender, approximately 10 to 15 minutes depending on the size of cubes and type of potato.
- Remove from heat and drain any remaining water.
- Place potatoes into mixing bowl.
- Add butter and start to whip potatoes with mixer set on 7 or 8.
- Add sour cream slowly and whip until smooth and creamy.
- (The amount of sour cream may vary depending on the type of potato used, Yukon gold uses all, some other softer potatoes do not need all of the sour cream.) Pour potatoes into a cassole dish sprayed with cooking spray.
- Top with as much cheese as desired.
- Bake at 350 for approximately 20 minutes or until cheese bubbles and edges start to brown.
- Remove from oven and let sit for five minutes.
- If you are serving a meat that has a gravy, then leave off the cheese but still bake the potatoes until bubbly.
Join The Conversation
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
I am a military wife of 18 years who has moved every two to three years. I have been blessed with the companionship of many fabulous cooks from all over the world. Food and cooking seems to be the glue that binds the military spouses together. I am Southern, born and bred which also contributes to my love of cooking. My favorite cookbook? What else but Southern Living.